Your joints need to work for you all of your life; and although some joints such as hips can be replaced, prevention as always is better than cure. Currently in the UK it is estimated that over 20 million people, nearly a third of the population, suffer with some form of musculoskeletal condition, such as arthritis and joint pain. So, it is important to look after your joints by taking a protected collagen supplement alongside healthy lifestyle practices.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body and is found in all of our connective tissues, tendons, ligaments and bones which provides structure and elasticity. As we age our bodies become less efficient at naturally producing collagen which can lead to increased inflammation, slower recovery time and impaired mobility.
Our joint-friendly tips:
- Eating at least five servings of fruit and vegetables per day and ensure that your diet is rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is both a powerful antioxidant and needed for the production of collagen – a protein found in skin, ligaments, cartilage and other body tissues.
- Ensure your diet includes essential fatty acids to support synovial joints and for their anti-inflammatory action. Try and eat oily fish at least twice a week; also use good quality olive or flaxseed oil, which contains additional vitamins A and D important for bone health.
- Maintain good hydration which enables the flow of nutrients to the joints.
- Weight loss. Research shows that every pound of excess weight you shed can take about 4lbs of pressure off your knees and hips when walking.
- Physical activity. Strength training helps build up the muscles that support the affected joint; there is a direct correlation between joint flexibility and the strength of the muscles surrounding them. Aerobic exercise, particularly weight-bearing activities such as walking, can ease stiffness by keeping joints flexible and lubricated. But check with your doctor before starting any new workout regimen. Warm up and cool down properly with gentle stretches before taking part in sport.
- Keep joints warm in cold weather and do daily stretches. The following is a simple low impact but effective regime: stretch your fingers out completely and then close your hands to make a fist; roll your shoulder blades; turn your head from side to side and swing your arms from side to side; put hands on hips and then move your hips in large circles; sit on the floor and then hold your kneecaps and then move them in circles.
Maintaining healthy and active joints is vital to leading an active lifestyle as this supports the mobility and flexibility you need for work, exercise or simply enjoying a good quality of life. Ingenious Beauty and Ingenious Active contain Marine Collagen Peptides, Hyaluronic Acid Complex, and Natural Astaxanthin; all three of these ingredients have been shown in clinical studies to reduce the occurrence of joint pain.